Also known as colon or bowel cancer, colorectal cancer is the growth of cancer in the colon or rectum. It may be caused by old age, lifestyle and in rare cases, genetic factors (non-polyposis cancer that is hereditary). Other risk factors are diet (processed meat and alcohol), obesity, an absence of physical activity and smoking. Inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn’s disease are also a risk factor. The associated symptoms of colorectal cancer include weight loss, changed bowel movements and blood spots in the stool. Treatment is usually a combination of radio and chemotherapy and surgery. Surgery can cure cancer confined to the colon walls, if widespread, it cannot be cured, but is managed to improve the symptoms and the patients’ quality of life.
About Fight Colorectal Cancer
Founded in 2005, Fight Colorectal Cancer is an organization that aims at reducing deaths attributed to the disease. It also aims at finding a cure for colorectal cancer. The organization advocates for research into colorectal cancer and also offers training and provides grants to scientists working towards a cure for the disease. They do this through what they term as five ways to fight. They include:
- Patient resources
- It creates a resource center that is credible and contains resources that have been medically reviewed. This helps patients in making informed decisions concerning their health. The educational materials, found free online, give information on diagnosis, available treatment options and how to handle life with colorectal cancer. This keeps patients constantly informed.
- The organization follows studies that cover the basic biology, prevention of the disease, its treatment and how to survive it. They involve their researchers and help fund any project that may be groundbreaking in the field of colorectal cancer. The organization also has medical experts on its medical advisory board.
- The organization, through forming coalitions with policy makers and other regulatory agencies have managed to build solid relations with leaders to ensure colorectal cancer and persons suffering from it are considered in policy decisions.
- Through awareness programmes like One million strong, kids awareness activities, online ambassadors; and events like sparks of strength luminary event, the organization has managed to create awareness around colorectal cancer.
- Fight colorectal cancer also encourages donations from members of the public. This can be through fundraising programmes, personal donations or donations to its research programmes.